Friday, August 13, 2010

Guess What Happens When a Woman Lends Her Credit Card to a Homeless Man


On Monday, Jay Valentine, a homeless man who has been living on the streets in New York City for a few years now since losing his job at a real estate agency, asked a woman for change because he was hungry. The woman, Merrie Harris, didn't have any change on her, but she did have her American Express Platinum Card. Surprisingly, she handed the card to Jay and told him to go buy what he wanted and SHOCKINGLY he returned the card to her a short time later.
"I asked her for change and told her I wasn't working," he said. "She said she only had a card. She said, 'Can I trust you?' I said, 'I'm honest, yes.' "I went and bought a few things and came back and gave her her credit card back, and everybody was surprised. "I said thanks for trusting me. I guess she had a good sense of judgment. She knew I was trustworthy." Valentine said he bought deodorant, body wash, a pack of Nat Sherman cigarettes and Vitaminwater. It all cost about $25, he said. "She was really lucky it was me she ran into" and not someone who would have stolen the card, Valentine said. "I was really in need. I only had a couple of dollars on me. It sets a good example that people in need -- like I am or worse -- can and should be trusted," he said. "Everybody in the restaurant was surprised. They probably thought I would run off with the card."
Jay said the thought of running off with the card never entered his mind.


source
Share this post
  • Share to Facebook
  • Share to Twitter
  • Share to Google+
  • Share to Stumble Upon
  • Share to Evernote
  • Share to Blogger
  • Share to Email
  • Share to Yahoo Messenger
  • More...

0 comments:

Post a Comment