Tuesday, February 24, 2009

'RuPaul's Drag Race' Contestant Reveals She's HIV+


It's no secret: We love, love, love the spectacle that is "RuPaul's Drag Race".

But, while enjoying last night's festivities, things got serious and real. Ongina ("my middle name is Ong and God didn't bless me with a certain 'ina"), who is one of our favorite racers, revealed that she has been living with HIV for the past two and a half years years and this was her first time revealing this information -- her parents don't even know.

She cried. Ru cried. The judges cried. The other queens cried. We cried.

(watch the videos after the jump.)









Share this post
  • Share to Facebook
  • Share to Twitter
  • Share to Google+
  • Share to Stumble Upon
  • Share to Evernote
  • Share to Blogger
  • Share to Email
  • Share to Yahoo Messenger
  • More...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ongina's revelation was powerful, no doubt. I teared up!

Drag Race is fantastic--the spectacle of reality TV at its best. :D But then, I would expect no less from the mistress of spectacle, RuPaul. (I am so excited for RuPaul coming to Seattle next month, I get to see her live!) Plus the world gets to see an aspect of drag culture that it doesn't get to see very often.

Anonymous said...

Ongina was a very spicy little number,
And I admire her for not letting her situation rule her life.
Several associates had negative things to say about me when I told them I watched the show.
I was not really into it but a long time lady friend told me I should expand my horizons.
I respect art and creativity in any form.
And even as a straight guy, it was quite interesting to see the
competition and cooperation between these ladies.
Gives me a new respect and perspective on people of all cultures/

Post a Comment