Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Is This Racist?


"I'm not sure if it's good to have freedom or not. If you're too free, you're like the way Hong Kong is now. It's very chaotic. Taiwan is also chaotic. I'm gradually beginning to feel that we Chinese need to be controlled. If we're not being controlled, we'll just do what we want."
That was Chinese actor Jackie Chan speaking at a business forum in Hainan, a southern Chinese island last weekend.

Suffice it to say, people are calling for a boycott of his movies and asking for some sort of an apology, retraction.
Share this post
  • Share to Facebook
  • Share to Twitter
  • Share to Google+
  • Share to Stumble Upon
  • Share to Evernote
  • Share to Blogger
  • Share to Email
  • Share to Yahoo Messenger
  • More...

4 comments:

Jameson Roane said...

I don't get who is calling for an apology? A person of Chinese heritage is making an observation about Chinese culture and he has to apologize? For God's sake, how can that be racist? Please, have we lost all context on the meaning of racist?

Anonymous said...

I think he may not have chosen his words wisely, but I also believe that there is truth in his words, and not isolated to China. I am far from a prude and not some religious zealot, but I am horrified on a daily basis when I see what is allowed in this country (e.g. videos, tv, "ass-vertising", etc.). Rules and order and moral standards are needed in every society, otherwise, there is chaos and deterioration.

Anonymous said...

I think that the people are outraged because of the widespread oppression of the people that is happening now as we speak. Jackie Chan is a puppet for the NWO and they know it. Look at the news, pay attention to China, they are a force to be reckoned with and they are controlling much of what happens here in the U.S. They OWN the U.S.!!!

Brian D. Hawkins said...

I think Jackie Chan has a right to his opinion and being racist by reflecting about one's own heritage is ridicules. I don't agree with the statement (assuming he really said it at all) but I believe in free speech, even if he doesn't. I believe in free speech even when the speaker too scared, I mean "horrified", to use their real name. By the way Anonymous#1, I love "ass-vertising" but how dare those racists use videos & tv! I bet those filthy animals even listen to music!

Post a Comment