Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Mia Farrow is on Hunger Strike


Actress Mia Farrow has been on hunger strike since April 27 to draw awareness the plight of starving refugees in the Sudan.

But the 64-year-old, who intends to fast for another two weeks - consuming water only - may be putting her health at risk. She has told her worried children, she will eat something if and when she begins experiencing health problems and promises to get regular check-ups.

In a recent daily blog, she writes, "A doctor will be coming to visit me tomorrow - thanks to my concerned friends. But no doctor will be there for at least a million people in Darfur. There will be an end to this for me - but not for them."

She admits she has been left incredibly weak by the lack of food, but insists her mind is all the clearer for it: "At this point I don't think about food. I am weaker and I am mostly in bed. I am clear minded. I sleep less... I am more emotional... I read when I am able to... I am at peace and busy with my thoughts."

In 2007, Mia offered her freedom in exchange for the safe passage of a key Darfur rebel figure who was confined to a UN hospital in Sudan’s Kordofan region and needs treatment abroad.

We wish we were as passionate about something as she is. Good bless her.

Go here to check out her blog and find out what you can do to help.
Share this post
  • Share to Facebook
  • Share to Twitter
  • Share to Google+
  • Share to Stumble Upon
  • Share to Evernote
  • Share to Blogger
  • Share to Email
  • Share to Yahoo Messenger
  • More...

0 comments:

Post a Comment