Tyra Teaches You How to Smile With Your Eyes
At the New York Times' TimesTalks series last weekend, Tyra gave this tutorial on how to smile. Well, how to smile like an high paid fashion model.
• The Flirting-With-a-Man Smile: “Turn your shoulder to your man, move your face down, and use a sound effect, a little hmmmmmmmmm."
• The Surprise Smile: “We’re not smiling like the surprise is real — it’s not ‘OMG, are you serious?’" Tyra said. It’s a hand to the cheek, and a gasp. Remember, the surprise isn’t like, swine flu or an unexpected breakup; it’s more of a “I forgot my contacts at home!”
• The Catalogue Smile: “Put the left foot forward, and turn your head ahead as if there’s wind whipping you that way, and smile with your hand on your head and parted teeth. So walk forward with your hand on your right cheek, and step with your left foot, so your booty sticks out.” She then suggests you add a dainty “ahhhh” as a sound effect.
• The Angry Smile: Save this one for “bitches,” Banks said. You move a hand to your hip, look forward, “dip that booty to the right,” and let your face say “Okay, okay, okay, uh-huh.” This actually make sense in person.
• The Smile With the Eyes: “This is crucial,” she said. “It’s on magazine covers, it sells perfume, it sells shoes.” Tyra recommends pulling your shoulders down, facing forward, pretending there’s a string pulling your head up and that a dentist shot you in the mouth with Novocain. She said it’s “almost like you’re in Star Trek.”