Tuesday, March 16, 2010

This Person Has No Gender


Norrie May-Welby, a 48-year-old who was born in Britain but now lives in Australia, is considered the world's first genderless person.

Norrie, who was born a man but underwent sex-change surgery in 1990 to become a woman, but chose not to take the female hormones or have breast implants.

In January, doctors declared they could not categorize Norrie as male or female, as Norrie had no gonads, an atypical hormonal system and identified as neuter.

Norrie's birth certificate was also redacted to include the new no-gender classification.

"I asked the New South Wales government to issue me a certificate that didn't state my sex," Norrie said. "After supplying the authorities with medical documentation that told me it couldn't be done, they took some time to consider the matter and issued me a certificate stating my sex as 'not specified.'....It’s just a piece of paper but it’s world-changing. It means society will start to deal with reality instead of fantasy,” Norrie said. “It means whenever I go in and fill in paperwork and someone says are you a Mr or a Miss, I can say I’m neither, here’s a piece of paper saying that — please comply."

Throughout the years, Norrie has refused to belong to either gender, saying "If I choose one or the other, I'd be hiding a large part of who I am. I'm about 60% female and 40% male."

Here's Norrie doing something.



Update, March 18: Norrie has a gender.
The Australian Attorney General revoked the birth certificate that had Norrie's sex as "non specified."



source
Share this post
  • Share to Facebook
  • Share to Twitter
  • Share to Google+
  • Share to Stumble Upon
  • Share to Evernote
  • Share to Blogger
  • Share to Email
  • Share to Yahoo Messenger
  • More...

0 comments:

Post a Comment