Thursday, December 4, 2014

Black Man Jailed in NYC For Wearing Ring


In the wake of the no indictments in two high-profile killings of black men in America, comes this story of police overreach. A man in New York City whose name is Andre L Perry says he was arrested inside a subway station and spent a night in jail for wearing a two-finger ring, an overzealous police officer deemed to be a deadly weapon. Andre started a Kickstarter campaign (and uploaded to video of his arrest, below) seeking $6000 to fund his legal defense case and sue the pants off the NYPD and the City of New York for racial profiling and violation of his civil rights.

Here's the text of his Kickstarter campaign.
I hope this email finds everyone in great spirits. I am writing because I need your help. On March 30, 2013 at 5:05pm, I purchased a 2-finger ring from a vendor at Artist and Fleas in Williamsburg, BK. I fell in love with the ring and have worn it every day since. It's a fashion piece, like the various accessories I've purchased. On November 19, 2014, at 3:55 pm, I was arrested for possession of a deadly weapon with intent to use it. My two-finger ring was deemed a weapon--possibly because of the body who adorned it. That day I exited the L train at the 14th St Union Square station and transferred to the NRQ line heading towards Brooklyn. As I approached the stairs, I was greeted by two undercover officers. Officer Correa spoke to me first and told me that my ring was considered a deadly weapon. [...] After I was handcuffed, I was held in a holding cell then transferred to a booking cell where I spent the night. I was released on, 11/20, at 11:02 with a court appearance scheduled for 1/13. I am extremely devastated. I am tired of being profiled and deemed suspicious. I was profiled two years ago and my life was almost taken from me when an undercover cop chased me in my house and pulled a gun out because, again, I looked suspicious. I didn't file a legal complaint at the time because I knew the process would have been expensive and drawn out. This time I will do whatever it takes to file a lawsuit against the NYPD. I don't want to be injured or killed in order for my voice to be heard and justice served. Please help me raise money so I can hire a proper Criminal Attorney to drop this case and file a lawsuit against the NYPD. [...] If I don't hire an attorney to help me fight this case, the officer that arrested me won't think twice before he approaches the next individual or you.
Here's the video of his encounter with the cop and his subsequent arrest.

Share this post
  • Share to Facebook
  • Share to Twitter
  • Share to Google+
  • Share to Stumble Upon
  • Share to Evernote
  • Share to Blogger
  • Share to Email
  • Share to Yahoo Messenger
  • More...

0 comments:

Post a Comment