Friday, March 20, 2009

Russell Brand: Sexual Addiction is Like Having an Eating Disorder


Most people here in the States are not familiar with British comedian Russell Brand, but he's someone we advise you to familiarize yourself with; Russell's odd and funny as hell. That probably came through when he hosted the 2008 MTV Video Music Awards.

Our first time seeing him was on an episode of the BBC's "The Graham Norton Show" several years ago. We always thought Wendy's TV show should resemble Graham's show - it's campy, laid-back and hilarious, thanks to the host. Plus, his set is littered with naked Barbie dolls of all ethnicities and the host and guests down wine or brown juice during interviews.

Russell is a self-confessed sex addict who, on average, would bed at least three women each day. (This story line played out on last night's episode of "Ugly Betty".) Really? When does sex become so unmanageable that you need a shrink and, furthermore, who has the time to have sex with upwards of three people in one day?

But we digress.

Russell, who recently sought treatment at a Los Angeles rehab center for his high sexual appetite, says sexual addition is similar to having an "eating disorder."

"When you are eating too much you don't go and get treatment and stop eating completely. Like food, you have to find a moderate way to keep having sex that isn't crazy and that's what I've done."

He also plans to give up sex.
"If I’m to find any true happiness I have to devote myself to something bigger than my own ego," he tells GQ magazine. "I’m really getting tired of materialism. I don’t reckon I’ve got more than two or three years. I’ve burned out drugs. I’m burning out sex. I don’t even know what I’m doing yet. I’m not ready. I’ve got to be in a position where they can’t go, 'Didn’t he fucked that stripper? Didn’t he go to that lap-dancing club?' There can’t be any of that around. That’s all got to go - until I’m in a position where I can say, 'Look I’m celibate, I’m a vegan. All I do is meditate, come out and do stand-up and make films.'"

Take that in consideration as you head to the club this weekend.


source
Share this post
  • Share to Facebook
  • Share to Twitter
  • Share to Google+
  • Share to Stumble Upon
  • Share to Evernote
  • Share to Blogger
  • Share to Email
  • Share to Yahoo Messenger
  • More...

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

He was an excellent guest on Howard Stern a few weeks ago. I think once he gets some american projects, he'll be a household name in the US. He even admitted to some "how you doin" action but he said he was 'drugged up' at the time. Yeah right!

Post a Comment