Tuesday, May 19, 2009

66-Year-Old Woman is Pregnant, Due this Summer


Elizabeth Adeney is about to become the oldest mother in Britain, due to give birth to a son weeks before her 67th birthday in July.

The baby was conceived by IVF treatment using a donor egg at a clinic in the Ukraine. (She went to the Ukraine because British clinics refuse to treat women over 50.)

Now eight moths pregnant, Adeney reportedly told friends she wanted a child so she has someone to “leave my money to”.

She told the Daily Mail she was not worried about the lack of support she would have to raise the child.

“I’m perfectly capable of looking after myself,” she said. “I’ve done it for years. It will be just me and my baby. I know some people won’t understand but I don’t care.”

The divorcee, who is still working a five-day week at a plastic and textiles firm where she is managing director, said: "I have young girls working for me in my factory and I'm fitter than half of them. It doesn't interest me that I'm going to be the oldest mum in the country. It's not my physical age that is important; it's how I feel inside. Some days, I feel 39. Others, I feel 56."

She insisted she was not worried that she has no partner or siblings to support her.

"I'm perfectly capable of looking after myself," she said. "I've done it for years. It will be just me and my baby. I know some people won't understand but I don't care."

As shocking as this may be, Adeney is not the world's oldest mother. That honor goes to Omkari Panwar, who delivered twins, a boy and a girl, by Caesarean section last June. She was 72 years old!

Share this post
  • Share to Facebook
  • Share to Twitter
  • Share to Google+
  • Share to Stumble Upon
  • Share to Evernote
  • Share to Blogger
  • Share to Email
  • Share to Yahoo Messenger
  • More...

0 comments:

Post a Comment