Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Star Jones is Still Skinny (With Big Girl Thoughts) and She Wants You to Know It


Star Jones Esq. (yes, that's because she's a lawyer) will appear on today's edition of "Oprah" to talk about her dramatic weight-loss -- first thought to be the result of Pilates and portion control -- and life after "The View."

Star has said she was "morbidly obese" weighing in at a whopping 307 pounds before under going weight-loss surgery. Today she's still around 160 pounds.

"I am now within striking distance of having made it 3 1/2 years within 10 pounds of the same weight I am today! 3 1/2 years at under 160 pounds after starting at 307 pounds," she write on her blog. "I never thought it possible, I didn't even think it probable given my track record. I certainly never thought I'd be brave enough to talk about it in public. The physical toll it took changed my life; but the emotional toll made me whole. With consistent exercise, smart food choices and portion control, I know I'm on the right path. Although I'm confident that I'm finally at a place where my body has settled into a comfortable and maintainable weight, I know that this is a battle I will wage for the rest of my life."

She tells Oprah she still think she's a fat-ass and was an addict.

"I'm still 300 pounds in my head some days," she says. "... I was an addict for all practical purposes, that I had never stuck to a real diet, that I'd never stuck to a real exercise program, and that when confronted by my doctor and the doctor said if you don't make changes, you will die. I had no choice." Jones said. "When you hear people say, oh, you took the easy way out, I would have longed for an easy way. It was not an easy way. It was this -- the hardest struggle of my whole entire life and I still struggle."

On the remarks by former co-host Barbara Walters that after the surgery, the show's audience couldn't relate to Jones anymore.

"I was hurt and upset initially," she says. "I'm so sorry that I placed a burden on my colleagues. I never asked them to lie."

Star thanks Oprah, who continually struggle with he weight, for providing her a place to "release all the demons that have haunted" her.

"[Oprah] provides a safe place to share...and share I do. What started for me as shame, fear, anger and regret has slowly turned into pride, security, forgiveness and triumph over a mountain I never thought I could climb let alone conquer."




Share this post
  • Share to Facebook
  • Share to Twitter
  • Share to Google+
  • Share to Stumble Upon
  • Share to Evernote
  • Share to Blogger
  • Share to Email
  • Share to Yahoo Messenger
  • More...

0 comments:

Post a Comment